A large international Business Process Outsourcer (BPO), with several key ‘Halo’ accounts up for rebid. These included the world’s largest public sector broadcaster and a multi-national European telecoms giant.
To ensure a successful rebid, the client had identified some key criteria which were:
- Reduction in cost
- Increase in innovation
- Culture of continuous improvement
- Embedded use of Lean principles. This would lead to a large number of change projects, which required governance
Working with a team of client Lean practitioners and seconded operational resource, Reinvigoration delivered an intensive 16 week Lean deployment. This focused on 4 lenses:
- Customer Centricity
- Operational Excellence
- People Excellence
- Process Excellence
The solution required operational managers to own the changes being made, with clear responsibility for success. After training, each operational team was supported in using a Performance Hub to show clearly how work was progressing. Combined with Standard Operating Procedures and Current Best Way assessments this allowed local managers to quickly determine the skills and capabilities of their people and processes.
Improvements to these ways of working were driven by Reinvigoration’s team-based Practical Problem Solving approach. With strong mentoring from Practitioners, this enabled teams to quickly identify problems, understand their root causes and begin resolving them.
Overseeing the change this work created required a light touch yet effective governance process. The approach Reinvigoration put in place met this need, allowing managers to make effective decisions without needing large amounts of time or bureaucracy.
In 16 weeks Reinvigoration delivered:
- Over 250 staff across 2 countries, 3 sites and 20 teams trained and working effectively with Lean
- 30 key managers from around the business trained and coached in managing Lean operations
- Over 200 change projects identified and started, each with appropriate ownership and planning
- A workable roadmap to reduce costs by 25% within 12 months and an achievable stretch target of 45%
- Effective customer satisfaction measurement tools in place, with staff trained in their use
- A functional and effective governance structure, allowing change, spend and outcomes to be understood and controlled by managers, stakeholders and sponsors